Sunday, May 8, 2011

Eating Paleo this Week

Here is what we are eating this week...
Monday - Spaghetti Squash with Meat Sauce and salad. I don't make my own sauce, I just try to pick a good one at the store (no added sugars or weird ingredients, maybe organic if it is on sale) and add my own ground beef. Serve over spaghetti squash that has been baked and pulled apart with a fork. If I am going to go to the work of baking one, I do 2 or 3 and then use the rest of the squash later in the week. My dear friend said she liked it with butter and cinnamon, which I think sounds yum if you are in the mood for a treat.
Tuesday - Huevos Rancheros with Salsa Verde sauce. Just bought some Salsa Verde at the store, and who doesn't like eggs? Fast and easy. I will probably serve with avocado for some healthy fats.
Wednesday - Steak w/Chimchurri sauce, veggies, and mashed sweet potatoes. Using the recipe from Everyday Paleo for the sauce. Mostly just cilantro and parsley blended with some seasoning. Easy.
Thursday - Better Butter Chicken from Everyday Paleo cookbook. This is inspired by an Indian dish. That isn't a cuisine we eat much of, but I am looking forward to trying it. I have a backup plan in case Matt and the kids won't eat it. Had to buy a couple of spices to complete the recipe (cardamom, coriander and fenugreek), but I am hoping it turns out well. She suggests serving it on a bed of greens, so I guess I will buy some kale and saute it. I am going to try to pull this off in the crockpot, will post the recipe later if it works out.
Friday - Paleo Chili. Biggest difference is no beans, but I am sure it will be delicious. Even thought it is spring, chili is one of my favorite foods and hope I can freeze some for lunches later. Planning on serving it with some avocado and Fritos (gasp) but Fritos are gluten free and go great with chili. So glad I am not allergic to corn. Chili leftovers are also good to serve with eggs for breakfast or on spaghetti squash, Steak and Shake gets away with a Chili 5 way, right?

My throw it in a pot dinner from last week that turned out pretty well:
Apricot Chicken with Cabbage.
I put cut up chicken breast, 1/2 can coconut milk, 1 cup chicken broth, 3/4 cup dried apricots (sliced), 2 Tbsp garlic pepper seasoning (Tastefully Simple), and 1 thinly sliced cabbage in a crockpot and cooked on low for about 6 hours till chicken was done. I added some sliced almonds for crunch when I plated it. Turned out pretty well for odds and ends leftover in the fridge and no desire to go to the grocery store. I love how chicken turns out in the crockpot.

No comments:

Post a Comment