Saturday, April 23, 2011

Recipes: Cashew Stew and Paleo Pancakes

Here are a couple of winners from this week! If you didn't read my earlier blog, we have gone "paleo" around here. Mostly for me, because I have a handful of food allergies, but it is suiting us just fine. We feel great and don't miss the things we have cut out. Paleo is also known as the Caveman Diet or Primal Blueprint. If you are interested, Google: Robb Wolf, Dr. Loren Cordain, or Dr. Sisson. I also really like the blog everydaypaleo.com and she has a new cookbook coming out this week.

Cashew Butter Chicken Stew
(originally from Oxygen Magazine, but I have modified it a bit)

2 c. chopped red onion
1 red pepper, sliced into strips
1/2 tsp black pepper
3 cups chicken broth
1 lb chicken breast, cubed
1 Granny Smith apple, cored, peeled, cubed
1 cup sliced cabbage or carrots
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1/2 c cashew butter

1. In a lg, nonstick pan, saute onions, cabbage/carrots, pepper and black pepper for 4 minutes.
2. Add apple, broth and chicken breast. Cover and bring to a boil, simmer until chicken is cooked through.
3. Add cayenne pepper and salt, whisk in cashew butter until well blended.
4. Garnish with parsley and some chopped cashews if you want...

Notes: I didn't have red peppers, so I used chiles in adobe sauce which made it a little smoky...I also was out of cashew butter, so I just soaked some cashews (we always have a variety of nuts on hand) and then added some coconut milk (or water) and blended in my food processor. It worked fine.

Paleo Pancakes
(adapted from Everydaypaleo.com but there are tons of recipes online)
1/2 cup almond meal (really cheap at Trader Joes)
1/2 cup coconut flour (or other gluten free flour)
2 eggs
1/2 cup coconut milk
grated apple or 1/4 cup applesauce or mashed up banana
cinnamon to taste
drizzle of coconut oil

Mix and cook on hot griddle brushed with coconut oil.
Serve with bacon and eggs.

No comments:

Post a Comment